TwoAcre Two Acre Village Subdivision.
On May 11, 1852 Josiah Morris Holloway purchased at auction 625 acres 2 rods 36 perches of land in what today is called Cheltenham. He named it Two Acre Village and sub divided into 370 lots which he sold over several years.
The following table notes the initial purchaser of each lot, the date at which the purchase was made and the price paid. In some instances the price paid relates to several allotments. For example Frederick Hermann purchased lots 2-7 and lots 33-35 for a total price of £180.
Click hereto view this information in Adobe PDF format.
The table also shows the next level of purchasers who bought the land from those people who purchased it from Holloway. Also included is the date of purchase and the price paid by these ‘second level’ buyers.
In 1874 unsold land still owned by Josiah Holloway was sold to William Gledhill and Emanuel King. This included land originally set aside for a National School and today is known as Friendship Square.
Aerial view of a section of ‘Two Acre Village’ in 1954.
Article Cat. Land and Environment
Article Ref. 196