Old Bakery, Mentone

Old Bakery, c1920's.

The bakery in Old Bakery Lane at the back of and parallel to Mentone Parade was one of several bakeries in Mentone in the 1920’s but its history goes back much further.

Ownership changed over the years but in the 20’s it was a successful business delivering bread to customers as far away as Dingley and Beaumaris. Associated with the bakery was a shop that faced on to Mentone Parade where buns and pastries, in addition to bread, were sold.

The following list gives the succession of owners:


  • George Barnett established the bakery but sold it to

  • Frederick Atherton 1895

  • D Waddell in 1899

  • H Chittick 1900

  • George Pockney 1901

  • F J Peachey 1904

  • J Bowring 1905

  • Albert Derden 1906

  • John Rennie

  • John Murphy & William Oliver made an application to
    build the current bakery in 1922 and completed it in 1924

  • The partnership of Murphy & Oliver concluded in 1928-29
    with Murphy continuing as owner and Jack Long as tenant

  • Edward Ellis became owner during early war years retaining
    Jack Long as baker

  • Eva Long bought building in 1947-48

  • Hennessy Bros of Caulfield (Austral/Home Pride) purchased
    business in early 1950's and closed it soon after

  • Property sold to CBA in 1974 who used it as a storeroom.

Published:
27 June 2018
Article reference:
55

Aboriginal Flag

City of Kingston acknowledges the Kulin Nation as the custodians of the land on which the municipality is a part and pays respect to their Elders, past and present. Council is a member of the Inter Council Aboriginal Consultative Committee (ICACC).