Articles

Filter by

Thumbnail
Frank Robins
Harold Robins
Mrs Mary Jane Robins
Robins Stores
W S Smiley’s Store
William Robins
Geoff Stratford, author of Robins Store in Mentone, has fond memories of playing in its storerooms and the people who worked at the store. He recalls features of the old grocery shop which sharply contrast with shopping at the big supermarket stores today. Do you recall the broken biscuit tin, the self-service honey container, the stacking of shelves with heavy canned items on the lower levels, home delivery and the grocer behind the counter waiting to serve you dressed in a long white apron? There is much more here to stir the memory of how it was more than fifty years ago.
Thumbnail
Chelsea Branch Regional Library
Chelsea Library
Cr Nola Barber
It took twenty-five years and the determination of people like Cr Nola Barber to gain a library for the municipality of Chelsea. Several of her colleagues had other priorities for the expenditure of council funds. Many residents were concerned with the expense and likely rate rises they faced with the planned connection to the sewerage scheme. They asked, ‘where would they find the extra money for a library?’ Persistence of the pro-library group paid off and Chelsea joined with Mordialloc municipality to provide a regional library service, building a library in Bath Street, Chelsea.
Thumbnail
Epsom
Mentone Racecourse
John Macnaughton in his story, Joe Obriem: The Clocker, demonstrates his wide knowledge and love of racing at Mentone, Mornington, and Epsom tracks. He reveals the role played by trackers/checkers in assessing the capabilities of horses and the efforts of these men to inform the punters by writing for the Sporting Globe or broadcasting on 3UZ radio to report the latest ‘form’. In this article many local trainers are named, along with horses they trained. In his writing John draws upon the work and fascinating memories of Joe OBriem.
Thumbnail
Mentone Cricket Club
This article by Leo Gamble adds to his comprehensive coverage of Mentone’s history in his book, Mentone Through the Years. In this article he discusses issues that have arisen in Mentone since the year 2000 and relates them to earlier events in the district, including the rise of multi-level apartments, the change in the character of the Mentone shopping precinct and the developments in secondary education.
Thumbnail
Tom Sheehy, writing in 1970 in the Mordialloc-Chelsea News, tells of some significant events in the growth of Mordialloc and Mentone. He mentions men who made their mark on our history: John O’Shanassy, Colonel Mair, Thomas Bent and Percy Dobson. There are other business men and Mrs Patrick with her drapery store. Some of the events Sheehy mentions are the first land sales at Long Beach, the building of the Mordialloc Coffee Palace, and the first attempt to control the waters of the Carrum Swamp.
Thumbnail
Reports claims and counter claims about the Mordialloc City Council's proposal to build a marina at the base of the Beach Road cliffs. The plan was to spend one million dollars. The plan involved the construction of a 15 foot wide seawall, filled to nine feet above the low water mark and varying in distance from 21 feet to 15 feet from the cliff face. Those opposing the plan pointed to the natural beauty of the site and argued that the proposal was for the benefit of a few. Stormy meetings took place at council but finally, after the passing of several years, the Beaumaris Motor Yacht Squadron agreed the revised proposal to develop a ‘safe harbor’ would not proceed.
Thumbnail
Aspendale Technical School
The Establishment of Aspendale Technical School is a story that recalls the efforts of several local communities to gain the option of a technical education for their children. Opened in 1959 the school suffered a serious blow when fire in 1971 destroyed science, social studies and art rooms, as well as general classrooms. The principal also lost his office. A significant development occurred seven years later when the school was declared a co-educational facility.
Thumbnail
Frank McGuire’s article, How Chelsea Grew Up: A Short History, was written in 1970 and published in the Mordialloc-Chelsea Newspaper. In it he presented a fascinating chronology of Chelsea’s history up to the 70s. Fifteen years later, at a time when the municipality still existed, the Chelsea Historical Society published his book, Chelsea a Beachside Community. Since that time, Chelsea has changed and developed. Some of the buildings Frank mentions no longer exist, but his words help us to understand why we are like we are today.
Thumbnail
Peter Ratcliff writes of the Dunlop estate in Beaumaris and the company’s plan in 1939 to build a garden city. By 1952 the Dunlop board decided to forgo their original plan, sub-divide the land and make it available for 76 housing sites. They also offered sixteen acres, at a reasonable price, to the Sandringham Council for the creation of parks.
Thumbnail
Mordialloc Creek
People know of the existence and location of the Mordialloc Bridge Hotel, but not all are familiar with the man who first built a two roomed pub on the site. William Coleman arrived in Melbourne in 1841 as a twenty one year old and initially resided in Collingwood where he became a councillor, married, and commenced his family. Moving to Mordialloc, he gained a beer licence in 1868 and built a more substantial hotel in 1870. He was also committed to investing in land throughout Melbourne and subsequently died a very rich man.

Aboriginal Flag

City of Kingston acknowledges the Kulin Nation as the custodians of the land on which the municipality is a part and pays respect to their Elders, past and present. Council is a member of the Inter Council Aboriginal Consultative Committee (ICACC).