Articles

Filter by

Thumbnail
The first bridge across the Mordialloc Creek was of a wooden construction built in 1854. It soon failed to meet community expectations believing Mordialloc deserved something more substantial. Debate on length and width of a new bridge took place. A new bridge was opened in 1919 to face criticism within ten years. II was too narrow. In 2008 a four-lane bridge was opened and subsequently the name Pompei Bridge.
Thumbnail
A cutting through the sand ridge bordering Port Phillip Bay was completed in 1879 and later named the Patterson River. The aim was to relieve the pressure of excess swamp water. The outlet did not save the district from massive flooding in 1934. Flooding again occurred in 1952.
Thumbnail
Leo Gamble writes of the development of the Cheltenham Catholic Parish, the priests who served there and parishioners who worked in the growth of the school. Two long serving priests were Father Bracken and Father Martin.
Thumbnail
Despite of the view that baby health centre was unnecessary because residents were healthy a centre a built in Parkdale in 1929. Dr Vera Scantlebury said, ‘the presence of such a centre was a mother’s right and not a charity’. The Chelsea Baby Health Centre opened in 1953 followed by others in Aspendale and Carrum.
Thumbnail
Mr Shearman plan to build shops on his property on Nepean Highway Mentone was challenged by Mr Barry. The proposal was debated by councillor and at its conclusion the plan was accepted. The official opening occurred just before Christmas 1958. In 2008 the centre was demolished and replaced with a more modern structure incorporating thirty sores and a large Woolworths costing $35 million in total.
Thumbnail
Friendly Societies were established as fraternal organisations to assist members and families meet financial and social consequences of illness. These societies set up their own dispensaries. The Cheltenham dispensary was founded in 1918 to service the needs of members. By 1946 affiliated societies were ANA Cheltenham; AOF Bentleigh; PAFS Cheltenham, Mordialloc and Ladies Cheltenham; IOR Cheltenham and Moorabbin; MUIOOF Moorabbin Mordialloc, Mentone and Cheltenham; IOOF Mentone; HACBS Mentone; OST Cheltenham; UAOD Mordialloc and GUOOF Bentleigh. In 1947 the name of the dispensary was changed to the Cheltenham District United Friendly Societies; Dispensary.
Thumbnail
Sixteen months after the construction of the Patterson River Bridge it was destroyed beyond repair. Engineers recommended two separate bridges, one for railway and one for road traffic. In March 1882 a contract was published for the erection of a timber bridge. A week before Christmas 1894 the bridge collapsed. By 1901 a more substantial bridge had been constructed but in 1910 the condition of the bridge was the focus of controversy. Improvements were made in 1937. A major reconstruction took place in 1995.
Thumbnail
The Sister of St Brigid established two schools in 1904 at Mentone; one in the iconic building built as the centre piece of Mathew Davies vision of Mentone. Originally built at a cost of £16,000 it was bought for £2050. The article details building developments, the contributions of various principals and the growth of student number.
Thumbnail
In 1922 Council purchased land in Parkdale covered in scrub to be set aside as a reserve. Additional land was purchased from R Marriott. The new reserve was opened in 1925 with the assistance of an overdraft of £300. A Gymkhana & Sports Day was organised in 1930 to raise money. More than £30 was raised. The councillors of Mordialloc recognised the contribution of Cr Gerry Green in various community organisations and named the reserve in his honour.

© 2021 Kingston Local History | Website by Weave


Aboriginal Flag

City of Kingston acknowledges the Kulin Nation as the custodians of the land on which the municipality is a part and pays respect to their Elders, past and present. Council is a member of the Inter Council Aboriginal Consultative Committee (ICACC).