Articles

Filter by

Thumbnail
In September 1920 Mrs Winifred Harrison wrote to the Parkdale Progress Association advocating the building of a hall. In 1921 the annual meeting for the Association took place in the new hall in Eveline Avenue overlooking Parkers Road. Plans to enlarge the hall caused dissention amongst the members.
Thumbnail
The first bridge across the Mordialloc Creek was of a wooden construction built in 1854. It soon failed to meet community expectations believing Mordialloc deserved something more substantial. Debate on length and width of a new bridge took place. A new bridge was opened in 1919 to face criticism within ten years. II was too narrow. In 2008 a four-lane bridge was opened and subsequently the name Pompei Bridge.
Thumbnail
A cutting through the sand ridge bordering Port Phillip Bay was completed in 1879 and later named the Patterson River. The aim was to relieve the pressure of excess swamp water. The outlet did not save the district from massive flooding in 1934. Flooding again occurred in 1952.
Thumbnail
Leo Gamble writes of the development of the Cheltenham Catholic Parish, the priests who served there and parishioners who worked in the growth of the school. Two long serving priests were Father Bracken and Father Martin.
Thumbnail
Despite of the view that baby health centre was unnecessary because residents were healthy a centre a built in Parkdale in 1929. Dr Vera Scantlebury said, ‘the presence of such a centre was a mother’s right and not a charity’. The Chelsea Baby Health Centre opened in 1953 followed by others in Aspendale and Carrum.

© 2021 Kingston Local History | Website by Weave


Aboriginal Flag

City of Kingston acknowledges the Kulin Nation as the custodians of the land on which the municipality is a part and pays respect to their Elders, past and present. Council is a member of the Inter Council Aboriginal Consultative Committee (ICACC).